Hiring - Outbound Parcel Prospector (Remote & Part-Time)
Outbound Parcel Prospector (Part-Time, Remote)
LOVELAND Technologies LLC
We’re looking for someone who can help us grow and maintain our data collection.
This is the perfect opportunity for anyone who is looking to explore a career in a new industry - software & data in the data and startup space. Lots of opportunities for growth in a fun, flexible, remote environment. We are growing and we want you to grow with us.
The ideal candidate needs to be a motivated self-starter, a team player and have a keen interest in data, public information, & a curiosity to learn new skills.
While this job does require strong communication skills and comfort working on the phone making outbound calls, it is not a sales position.
This position involves reaching out to local governments by phone, email, letter, and maybe even fax to help us collect public data. A keen eye for detail is appreciated, as is thoroughness.
The day to day process for this individual would involve working closely with the Geographic Data Manager to prioritize and contact counties and cities as part of Loveland's parcel workflow. You will explain the data we are looking for, identify the best sources, coordinate the data transfer, and follow up as needed. In addition, you will help evaluate data quality and assist with data QA.
Core skills we’re looking for:
- Experience with professional written and verbal communication
- Ability to personably, accurately, and persuasively communicate about technical subjects
- An inquisitive mind and interest in working with data
- Experience working with tabular data, for example spreadsheets (especially CSVs) and databases -- but you don’t need to be a data scientist or programmer.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to to manage many ongoing conversations.
- Familiarity with local US government structures, especially County and State governments, and the data available through them, especially parcel data
- Familiarity with the basics of GIS, or a desire to learn. Maybe you’ve used QGIS, ogr2ogr, Mapbox, CartoDB, GeoJSON, or other geospatial tools and formats
- Familiarity with GitHub, including GitHub workflow and commands
- Familiarity with the Mac or Linux command line (ability to navigate directories, move and delete files, run commands)
- Familiarity with basic SQL commands
In this job, we will ask you to:
- Contact government staff with requests for data
- Quickly evaluate data quality and decide if it meets our standards
- Navigate potentially delicate conversations about public data with government entities to build trust
- Use our internal tools to download records from government websites
- Use our internal tools and standards to review processed data
- Learn skills related to collecting and managing geodata
- Grow the Loveland dataset by collecting data from around the country
- Gain experience in core data science concepts, including data quality analysis and SQL
- Learn & build skills in geospatial data & data cleaning
- Support the data team by analyzing specific datasets
Rate & hours
This is a $20/hour remote contract position for 15-20 hours per week; 3-month extendable term ideally starting in April or May 2021.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter explaining why this is a good position for you to email@example.com with the subject line "Outbound Parcel Prospector". If you have one, please include a link to your Github account or a portfolio.
About LOVELAND Technologies LLC
LOVELAND Technologies is a Detroit-based nationwide parcel data & mapping software company and we run the site landgrid.com. We are headquartered in Detroit, however we are a remote & distributed team with members of the team working out of multiple locations across the USA.
Landgrid Parcel Data - We have collected and standardized a high quality nationwide dataset of over 149 million land parcel data, covering over 98% of residents in the USA.
We offer our data services in multiple formats to customers across all private and public sector verticals as bulk data files & API. Over the last several years we have created a successful suite of products, a growing customer base and project portfolio and an effective organization. We also have a Mapping as a Software product that allows our customers to map & survey with the parcel data we have collected..