Hiring - Part-Time Parcel Prospector (Remote)
Part-Time Parcel Prospector (Remote)
LOVELAND Technologies LLC
We’re looking for someone who can help us grow and maintain our data collection. This is a part-time, remote position.
This is the perfect opportunity for anyone who is looking to explore a career in a new industry - software & data in the data and startup space. Lots of opportunities for growth in a fun, flexible, remote & fast paced environment. We are growing and we want you to grow with us.
The ideal candidate needs to be a motivated self-starter, a team player and have a keen interest for data, public data sources & curiosity to learn new skills.
This position will involve obtaining, standardizing, and cleaning parcel data provided by counties or other levels of government. A keen eye for detail is appreciated, as is thoroughness. The day to day process for this individual would involve working closely with the Geographic Data Manager to obtain and process these counties as part of Loveland's parcel workflow.
Core skills we’re looking for:
- An inquisitive mind and desire to learn data tools and techniques
- Attention to detail and the ability to find patterns and problems in complex information
- Experience working with tabular data (for example, Excel files and CSVs)
- Experience writing straightforward SQL queries (selects, basic joins), or a history of learning similar technical skills. We provide training on how to use a database client to load and query data.
- Familiarity with the basics of GIS, or a desire to learn. Maybe you’ve used QGIS, ogr2ogr, Mapbox, CartoDB, GeoJSON, or other geospatial tools and formats
- Some level of familiarity with US County government structure and/or parcel data
- Some experience in PostgreSQL and PostGIS greatly appreciated
- Some familiarity with GitHub and GitHub workflow
- Familiarity with the Mac or Linux command line (ability to navigate directories, move and delete files, run commands)
- You have a portfolio of data-focused projects you’ve contributed to, and/or you’ve published your code on GitHub or elsewhere
In this job, we will ask you to:
- Quickly evaluate data quality and decide if it meets our standards
- Clean and explore data in Postgres
- Use our internal tools to download records from government websites
- Learn skills related to collecting and managing geodata
- Interpret and convert 3rd party data to our internal schema
- Gain experience in core data science concepts, including data quality analysis and SQL
- Learn & build skills in geospatial data & data cleaning
- Support the data team by analyzing specific datasets
Rate & hours
$20/hour for 15-20 hours per week as a remote contract position; 3-month extendable term ideally starting in May 2021.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter explaining why this is a good position for you to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Parcel Prospector". If you have one, please include a link to your Github account or a portfolio.
About LOVELAND Technologies LLC
LOVELAND Technologies is a Detroit-based nationwide parcel data & mapping software company and we run the site landgrid.com. We are headquartered in Detroit, however we are a remote & distributed team with members of the team working out of multiple locations across the USA.
Landgrid Parcel Data - We have collected and standardized a high quality nationwide dataset of over 149 million land parcel data, covering over 98% of residents in the USA.
We offer our data services in multiple formats to customers across all private and public sector verticals as bulk data files & API. Over the last several years we have created a successful suite of products, a growing customer base and project portfolio and an effective organization. We also have a Mapping as a Software product that allows our customers to map & survey with the parcel data we have collected..